Macaroon crust, clementine sorbet, citrus zest, lavender syrup
By Chad Sarno
* 2 cups dried coconut
* 1/2 cup cashews
* 3 tablespoons agave
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
* 1/4 teaspoon Celtic salt
* fresh citrus zest as garnish
1. In a food processor, process the coconut, agave, lemon zest and salt until mixture forms a ball and is fully blended.
2. Line small tartlet shells with plastic wrap. Press 1-2 tablespoons coconut crust mixture into each, press firmly around the sides (and flutes if using fluted moulds). Store in freezer until ready
* 2 cups coconut meat of 1_ cups soaked cashews
* 1 cup clementine juice
* 2 whole clementines, peeled
* 1/4 cup agave syrup
* Pinch of sea salt
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg shavings
1. In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
2. Either pour in your choice of sorbet maker, (Paco Jet* being my personal favourite), following manufacturer's instructions, or line a square container with plastic wrap and pour in blended mixture.
3. Freeze, pop frozen block out the following day, slice in strips and put through a gear juicer with the blank plate for a delicious sorbet!
* 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
* 1 cup agave nectar
1. In a high-speed blender, blend for 1 minute.
2. Pour through fine strainer to remove remaining bits.
Place 3 tart shells on each plate. Using a 1-ounce scoop, scoop clementine sorbet into each. Garnish with fresh long strands of citrus zest. Finish the plate with lavender syrup and sprinkled fresh lavender flowers and/or clementine segments.
This article appeared in the Autumn 2007 issue of Get Fresh! magazine as part of the feature 'The simplicity of sexy starters and the world of bite-sized pleasure'.